Monday, January 15, 2007

100 - 120 - 140

No, it’s not the latest bingo number. Confused? Not if your fork is the latest Fox Talas (Travel Adjustable Linear Air Spring + Rebound, Lockout & Compression setting). The above numbers are the fixed fork travel setting, which can be dialed from the top of its left crown. It’s not as easy as Manitou’s Infinite Travel, which adjustment lever is located at handlebar. But personally I hate IT’s extension cable and the lever. It just adds more complication to the already complicated bike cockpit.


I put the new Talas into my blue machine - 06 Titus Motolite, replacing the previous 06 Talas. It’s not that I don’t like the 130 Talas, no siree…130 Talas still the best performing fork I’ve ever had. I just wanted to replace the RockShox Psylo Race which now installed at my other bike, Giant Anthem S. Again, I don’t have any issue with the Psylo either. It’s still the best adjustable fork you can get at its price range. So why bother? Dunno ….Perhaps because I like my Giant sooo much that I’ve rarely used my Blue Motolite – so I reckon if I put longer travel fork at the blue machine, I might start using it more often…that’s 600 bucks of stupidity….hahahaha

I had a chance to try the new fork few weeks ago at Puncak Mountain. During the 3.5 hour ride, I truly enjoy the travel adjustment simplicity. Most of the time, I’d be able to adjust fork travel almost on-the-fly….provided that there’s enough room to release your left hand from handlebar. Changing it on-the-fly is so NOT recommended if the track got more technical. Puncak track - ngehek section, is about 60% down and 40% up. So I've almost never used the 120 setup. Only 100 & 140 mm. My only regret was I didn’t change any setup of the fork, except for the travel adjustment. Boy was I wrong. The fork felt very harsh. I thought because it’s a new fork & need some time for break-in period. At the end of the ride, I’ve just found out the compression damping setting is waay to much. Maximum. That’s your payback if you don’t read your manual before you try. Well, don’t blame me….the manual came with a CD. I’m not an IT guy… all I know about computer that it has lots of bicycle pictures (at the internet) and it hangs quite a lot. Good thing is…at least I have good excuse to use the blue machine again next ride, to really try the better fork setup.


1 comment:

my simple life said...

(indonesian mode on)

Om, keren banget loh spedanya,.. forknya juga,..goup set-nya juga,.. wah bagus semua deh...

salam kenal ya Om.